This is from a very senior teacher in Navy Public School, Delhi:
A few months ago I asked all my students to answer two questions:

1. Ten things you want your parents to stop doing  and
2. Five things you want your parents to start doing.

I got some interesting responses:

Things I want my parents to stop doing:

---  Stop comparing my life with your childhood. Things were really different back then, so stop comparing.

--- Stop using these words and phrases: Use your brains? Are you deaf? Can't you see? You're useless, careless, good for nothing, lazy, etc.

--- Stop showing off my skills. I don't want to dance in front of your friends. I don't like to do that. Why do you force me to sing/dance or show my report card or my art work to our relatives or friends?

--- Can you speak softly for a change? I'm tired of hearing you shout, every day, on every small thing.

Things I want my parents to start doing:

--- Smile, please. I don't remember when was the last time my mom smiled. She usually carries a frown on her face. That look saddens and irritates me.

--- Appreciate. I know I'm not good at all things, but there are many things that only I can do really well which no one else can. So a little bit appreciation would really help.

--- Hug me. I see how my mom hugs my 5 year old sister, but when I run to hug her she immediately says, "Later, first do your work" huh!

--- Play with me. I love to play with my friends, but playing with mom and dad is fun! If only they made some time to play with me.

--- Tell me a story. I'd love to listen to their childhood tales, especially about their mistakes, failures and mischief. But my parents always keep telling about all their achievements. It makes me scared. What if I can't achieve success the way they achieved it?

--- Keep that WhatsApp aside. Talk to me, mom & dad.

--- Can I sleep in your bedroom at least once a month? I love cuddling you guys.

So parents, if you're wondering what to gift your child this holiday season, here's your list. Be present for your children and make parenting engaging and fulfilling.
BE PRESENT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

શિક્ષક દિન વિશેષ...

સારવારના સરનામાં

દિન વિશેષ...